Je laatste bezoek was
Het is nu 22 aug 2019, 09:47
Toon onbeantwoorde berichten
Toon actieve onderwerpen

Plaats een nieuw onderwerp Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 76 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Volgende
Auteur Bericht
 Berichttitel: Bosuil adventures - travel experiences
BerichtGeplaatst: 01 okt 2015, 11:08 
Highly experienced Camper

Afbeeldingen: 119
Hi All,

I thought I start my own thread and share my experiences with our Bosuil, that is changing soon to a newer version I was told by De Waard staff. We recently went with our Bosuil to the Cote D'Azur, to Italy to be precise and in two weeks time we start out to a "freezing" year closure trip to the baltic sea around Germany. Whenever you see our Bosuil, you may see this hanging around the tent :-)

Afbeelding

Eventually the first trip has made us aware of a few things. Currently we are in the phase of gathering all it needs to withstand nights instead of 20 of rather 5-8 degress celsius. We sure appreciate any constructive feedback on our experiences. More to come.....

PS: looks like no imagehost works, at least I cannot see the picture, need to see what the reason is....

Dutch by google :) GP/KS/DM/Kemphaan/Strandloper/Eidereend/ES Mier/Giraffe verkocht:Bosuil/Parelduiker/Oeverloper

Laatst bijgewerkt door Zeltheld op 01 okt 2015, 18:15, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt

Profiel Persoonlijk album  

Berichttitel: Re: Bosuil adventures - travel experiences
BerichtGeplaatst: 01 okt 2015, 13:15 
Very Extremely experienced Camper

Afbeeldingen: 63
I can see your picure; looks nice :D

BerichtGeplaatst: 01 okt 2015, 13:44 

Afbeeldingen: 71
Zeltheld schreef:

Eventually the first trip has made us aware of a few things. Currently we are in the phase of gathering all it needs to withstand nights instead of 20 of rather 5-8 degress celsius. We sure appreciate any constructive feedback on our experiences. More to come.....

Make sure you have good isolation between your sleepingbag and the ground. For example a self inflatable or Exped mat.

BerichtGeplaatst: 01 okt 2015, 16:18 

Yes, the picture came through now. The company I work with forced us to stay on IE9 for various internal reasons. I just installed Chrome and now I can also see the picture from work :) .A present I got from my wife when "we moved in". Good, very good, then I can continue tomorrow or tonight with the journey.

Although I'm a die hard De Waard fan for years, which I will try to proof, I also try to stay neutral in my hobbies, my observations, mention high lights as well as low lights.

Dutch by google :) GP/KS/DM/Kemphaan/Strandloper/Eidereend/ES Mier/Giraffe verkocht:Bosuil/Parelduiker/Oeverloper

BerichtGeplaatst: 01 okt 2015, 16:19 

"Make sure you have good isolation between your sleepingbag and the ground. For example a self inflatable or Exped mat"

We are considering to move from the 20cm campingaz air mats we have to the 47cm high double version from Coleman :)

And if "V" agrees on pricing we also buy off them the Bosuil ground carpet....

Laatst bijgewerkt door Zeltheld op 01 okt 2015, 18:02, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt

Berichttitel: Bosuil adventures - travel experiences
BerichtGeplaatst: 01 okt 2015, 16:34 

Afbeeldingen: 29
I would strongly recommend to skip any airmat. They have zero isolation value and therefore not recommendable for autum/winter camping (or any camping for that matter). Your body has to warm up all the air in the air mats.

I suggest to buy something with a little more isolation value.

PS: Love the Beanie Boo Owl ;-)

BerichtGeplaatst: 01 okt 2015, 17:17 

I agree with moose, i would advise a self inflatable or exped airmat which are insolated.

BerichtGeplaatst: 01 okt 2015, 18:08 

The idea was, as air is the best Isolator I was once told, to get 47cm away from the cold ground and then put two coleman sleeping bags as a thick sleeping sheet onto the beefy airmat and then use the regular winter pillows and filled winter blankets from home to cover us. Does that sound right ?

BerichtGeplaatst: 01 okt 2015, 18:12 

Here a small proof for being a Dewaard fan, our Bosuil rest as we talk instead of in our stinky dusty cellar, on top of our closet in our small of three rooms. Just a flat, no money for a house. It got a cosy warm place during the year :)

Afbeelding

BerichtGeplaatst: 01 okt 2015, 18:51 

And a picture that was taken during our very first testbuild on the 22nd of August, close before our travel to Italy on the 5th of September. It was all easy and items did fit perfectly together, what a fantastic quality. We did not manage to set the Boogluifel that day. The findings of that day were various.

One was the weight of the stuff we needed to move surpassing the given pure material tent weights of the spec sheets. One needs to be aware. The other was the zips of the Windows are a bit different than all other zips, a bit tougher to pull. My wife enjoyed the easy assembly. The break down was a different one, a tough one, as we made a mistake.....well, more on that after Italy.

My wife, my mother and I had a lot of fun, what a great tent.

Afbeelding

More tomorrow.....

BerichtGeplaatst: 01 okt 2015, 21:26 

Zeltheld schreef:
The idea was, as air is the best Isolator I was once told, to get 47cm away from the cold ground and then put two coleman sleeping bags as a thick sleeping sheet onto the beefy airmat and then use the regular winter pillows and filled winter blankets from home to cover us. Does that sound right ?

Vacuum or air that doesn't move is a good isolator. The air in the airmat moves within the mat and takes heat from your body and looses it to the cold from the ground. In a self inflatable mat or exped isolated airmat the air doesn't move and gives you the isolation without using 2 sleeping bag's as isolation.

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 okt 2015, 08:35 

Hi Jarl,

yes, the moving air is of course a very valid point. On the other hand, I assume the inflatables or expeds with a good "R" value are not a cheap solution ? And you probably need to buy a pairing / coupler kit to get a nice flat style bed for two of ca. 140cm width or more, if you get that broad at all with those often rather tight cut mats. I assume you need to spend around 80 to 150 Euro for a single person ? What is your cheapest recommendation with a good "R" value that can be coupled ?

The two sleeping bags mentioned we simply have. These are Coleman square style summer sleeping back that can be opened to form big blankets. Taking these as sheets onto the big airmat I look at will not cost us anything. The 47 high airmat is 79 Euros and you get a queen sized bed of 213 x 168 cm, with no gap in between when you want to sleep close to each other. You know what I mean :)

All in all a tough one, but probably the most important decision. We plan to leave to the baltic sea on the 16th of October, so we still have some time to order the right stuff.

Laatst bijgewerkt door Zeltheld op 02 okt 2015, 08:43, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 okt 2015, 08:42 

And one thing to add, I'm a heavy guy (135 KG) so the mat I chose needs to withstand some beating :oops:

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 okt 2015, 08:52 

The most important thing is isolation between your body and the ground! How you do that doesn't really matter.

More important than cheap is a good night sleep and if you can arrange that with a 47cm air matras with extra blankets and extra sleeping bags you already have great! thats your cheapest sollution.
For all other options it is personal, there are self inflatable mats from 20/30 euro's that have much better R value than your 47cm airmat the question is do they give the same sleeping comfort.

We don't have to much room in our car so this is out setup:
http://www.dewaardforum.nl/viewtopic.php?t=12644

And when it is extra cold we put an extra sleeping bag on top.

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 okt 2015, 09:57 

Your set up looks very nice. I cannot tell how comfortable these really are for a heavy guy like me. I only saw some videos some weeks back on such mats when checking some German survival / outdoor videos. Nice small pack size, light weight as well, for sure.

Eventually I need to check them out in a store, if these thin style mats "do like me" :) Looking at the most known online store I found those big ones for 300 Euros form exped which pulled me away. If you say the 50 Euros one will have a good "R" value, then I will check them out.

Speaking of size in the car, this is how it looked when all was packed for three people in my mothers small BMW. We build all the stuff around her, which left a 40% seat width in the back to her for a ~1500-2000 KM ride to Italy....

Afbeelding

Plaats een nieuw onderwerp Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 76 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Volgende