Je laatste bezoek was
Het is nu 22 aug 2019, 10:43
Toon onbeantwoorde berichten
Toon actieve onderwerpen

Plaats een nieuw onderwerp Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 76 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina Vorige  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Volgende
Auteur Bericht
 Berichttitel: Re: Bosuil adventures - travel experiences
BerichtGeplaatst: 01 nov 2015, 19:54 
Highly experienced Camper

Afbeeldingen: 119
What a surprise. I think I mentioned 2012 somewhere, were indeed it was 2013, we finally got infected with the DeWaard virus.

By coincidence my wife found today some pictures of our trip back then, that we started out in Füssen. And now the real surprise to me, I always said to my wife from memory, it must have been an Albatros or a Zilvermeeuw, as it was huge, our tiny plastic tent an ant against it. From first looks, I would say it was a Papegaaiduiker with its big Varioluifel. What a great tent. Maybe even a member of this forum, an older couple I recall, who knows. At least I remember adoring their tent and some words we exchanged on it. They had the perfect view through the bushes and trees directly onto the Bannwaldsea.

Afbeelding

Sorry for the poor mobile phone picture fron an older mobile phone. But somehow I'm happy that we have this picture. I wish we had one from the DeWaard tunneltent in Italy, which I need still to believe was a Paradijsvogel in 2013.

Dutch by google :) GP/KS/DM/Kemphaan/Strandloper/Eidereend/ES Mier/Giraffe verkocht:Bosuil/Parelduiker/Oeverloper

Profiel Persoonlijk album  

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 nov 2015, 21:34 

Lets come to some of the more delicate things. I do not want to write in a complaining form, so I rather would like to discuss this in a asking form, whether this is normal for the DeWaard steel bow sticks? I assembled the Bosuil / sticks just three times, the test build, in Italy and in the wet conditions around the Baltic sea. Overall usage is three weeks. Of course I could not avoid my mother and my wife to assemble some sticks, so this is real usage as real as it can get :lol: . Is the wear and the rost still okay ? One stopper produced quite some scratches on a lower leg....

Quite some scuffs....
Afbeelding

Rosty bits shining through....
Afbeelding

Scratches...
Afbeelding

Dutch by google :) GP/KS/DM/Kemphaan/Strandloper/Eidereend/ES Mier/Giraffe verkocht:Bosuil/Parelduiker/Oeverloper

BerichtGeplaatst: 03 nov 2015, 17:52 

Afbeeldingen: 16
very unusual for me....I had really old DW tents and the thick brown paint on the poles didnt have any rust at all occasionly only when they had very hard use.....

seems DW is saving on he wrong end with this...scratches from the stopper ? ... cant say never had one on my tents....

on the other side a tip of laquer will solve this rust spots

are all new tents coming with this black/anthrazit stain nowadays ?

Thomas

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 nov 2015, 14:49 

Hoped some Bosuil owners would respond for camparison ?

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 nov 2015, 16:54 

Alright, either people are camping now, and so not online, or our sticks are a bit more prone to scratches than the average, which honestly, I cannot and will not believe. Indeed the sticks I often see on the pyramiden tents appear a bit more beefy and I feel our Bosuil bow sticks should be powder coated, like on Mountain bikes, to be scratch resistant to the highest extent. Of course is my mother a newbe, so she may have accidentially put one or two sticks the wrong way together and then disconnected them and rejoined them to fit the gab/nose in the stick segments, but still after just three assemblies and some rain, I find the sticks could have taken it better.

The hint to simply paint them is valid, but then I would need to de-rost the ends !properly! and I would also expect De Waard to have matching paint availlable. Soon I will find out visiting Heerde....

Then let's come to something else, again Bosuil or De Waard tunneltent owners, as I assume this is similar in the tunneltent family. How happy is everybody with the last two bow sticks, the last one tilted to the back, how these two sticks join ? They both stand on the white small protective plates, The last bow stick tilted, and it's white plate standing sort of on top of the white plate of the stick before ? How is this invention perceived ?

BerichtGeplaatst: 08 nov 2015, 15:36 

Not much of reply, so either a (quality) topic nobody wants to talk about here, or its just camping time :) I wish I could pack right away for another two weeks......

Basically what I meant above is point "1" in the picture below. I do not like this concept at all, it is missing that De Waard precision and quality touch. The last rear bow stick sort of barely stands well, tilted, in his white plate, in my case the plate often stands on the rim of the white plate before it, of the second last bow stick, which enhances a secure stand. Depending on the ground you are camping on, at the Baltic sea, there was a clean spot where grass was gone under the tent but present around the tent, these white plates can slip easily on the clean straight bisonyl sheet, when checking them. I would have shaped these white plates differently to each other, but then, I would have changed more than just on this issue....

In the number "2" below you can see the "outer" black plates for the outside luifel or boogluifel bow sticks. Of those I have wasted three by now. Once by tilting the bow stick accidentally, while the plates were still pinned to the ground...clack...the bow stick broke two plates right away like a nut cracker and I have the feeling, if the underground is too soft, like on grass, as in the Bosuil the bow sticks cannot use the black joint pin that comes with the plate, but I got adviced to take those out and put the bow sticks directly into the black plates, that these will give in on grass and break, as the bow sticks produce quite some force, by the tent's weight and the lines being sharped for bad weather. I found a picture where people have made such plates in steel/aluminum for the pyramiden tents. I wonder why...actually I do not. I will buy two more in plastic and if they do not hold, I will check to get them in steel/aluminum, no kidding.

What can say, looks like the thicker often brownish straight sticks of the pyramiden tents are often epoxy coated, and I think this is not the case in the bow sticks, hence the easy marks and the rost. Yes, I find the bow sticks in summary, also missing connection points to hang stuff on, the weakest part in my De Waard tunneltent. I hope future sticks will be improved in some areas.

Afbeelding

Lets continue the journey. Close before our trip I went to a shop called Globetrotter.de in Hamburg, to check out the recommended air mats by the Switzerland company made in Korea (made some pictures). These were all nice in 7cm some in 10cm, the shop had a bank made of wood pieces that one could test the mats on, wheher they swallow a bumpy underground. Lying on them was okay, but sitting or kneeing on them was for a heavy guy like me like doing so on the plain ground. There was not much substance left plus the price of the ones they had being around 100 to 140 Euros each mat, was enough for me to decide against them for now. We went then with the Coleman double queeen raised bed. And more on that soon....afraid the insulation around 8 degrees would suck....we went to the Baltic sea.

Afbeelding

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 nov 2015, 20:31 

Figured that I show the photos to proof that I tried the thin mats, I really followed up the advice I got here. I gave it a shot, but I need to go another route first. They are not totally off my list of Camping desires. But first things first.

Saturday morning, later it became full...
Afbeelding

Selection of Exped....
Afbeelding

And here the double queen size raised, with 47cm height in our Bosuil. Size 213cm x 168cm....yes. Electric heater barely visible on right low corner (only used during the two rain days, more on that later), second cheap heater on the left upper corner (aka as POTT Rum and Coke) :lol:

Afbeelding

So what about cold.....the first two nights were freezing. Temps in the 8 degrees region, although it felt colder (due to the rain), a wet tent. On the Coleman double only a thick blanket above it plus sheet, and the sleeping bags united to one big sleeping bag on top. The Bosuil carpet underneath. Inside the big sleeping bag our two winter blankets from home, so they could not escape. A cosy thing.

Quiz question, where did we freeze ? From below, from the sides, from above, and if from some of either directions, where exactly ?

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 nov 2015, 23:11 
Very Extremely experienced Camper

Afbeeldingen: 71
from the cold feet of your wife?

BerichtGeplaatst: 10 nov 2015, 08:58 

Afbeeldingen: 177
:lol: :lol:

BerichtGeplaatst: 10 nov 2015, 19:09 

Afbeeldingen: 65
I would say from below. And the cold feet, hands and nose of your spouse.

BerichtGeplaatst: 10 nov 2015, 19:41 

For some, still to me unclear reasons, this "thing" always woke up next to me...every morning. Strange, very....some may claim, it must be my wife, I'm still trying to verify :lol:

Afbeelding

Of course women do tend to have cold feet, but that is also true in warm weather :D

No, not from below, but from above. The picture shows it a bit, look how deep she pulled the cap into her face, it was in both our view "the eyes" that hurt from the cold. We tried both sleeping ways on the air mat, with face as in the picture towards the rear of the tent or around towards the doors....I have the feeling backwards with the face to the rear created a bit more cold, but we could not agree. Is there a prefered winter sleeping position the Winterbelevig toughies recommend ?

PS: lovely answers :wink:

BerichtGeplaatst: 11 nov 2015, 14:20 

Afbeeldingen: 63
You must love her very much :-)

BerichtGeplaatst: 11 nov 2015, 20:58 

Zeeschuim was pretty close with the nose to be fair :wink:

Jenni, what can I say :D

One of the major benefits of the Coleman raised air mat is its height. Leaving the bed like at home is a miracle at age, even my age :lol:, you will find it hard to go back to ground level mats. On isolation I'm sure, it is okay with the way we used it, also at lower levels, but it can differ of course. We will enhance the zero degrees capabilities with better sleeping bags in the near future, before returnig to deep winter Expeds...here once more the picture I posted two pages back. You may not have realized it, but we are sitting both for breakfast on the raised air mat, like on a couch...amazingly cool....with full view onto the Baltic sea.

Afbeelding

Now, with the sleeping position we did not come further. I think the titlted rear end of the tent does favor air flow down to the ground, hence my impression as said, but I could be wrong. We used our 1KW electric heater during the two raining days, and at night we did switch it off. Not a good idea to heat a tent and then not at night, condensation on the cold tent inside was quite strong.....what is the recommendation to heat a tent ?

Afbeelding

Laatst bijgewerkt door Zeltheld op 11 nov 2015, 21:07, in totaal 2 keer bewerkt

BerichtGeplaatst: 11 nov 2015, 21:02 

Afbeeldingen: 71
i never heat the tent. But if you do make sure of enough ventilation.

BerichtGeplaatst: 11 nov 2015, 21:10 

It is cold Jarl, so as you see we had two air vents open to the extent you can see....freezing and ventilation is a bit contradicting :( ....some people even use a stove, wonder if the snow folks tenting also get condensation with stoves ?

Plaats een nieuw onderwerp Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 76 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina Vorige  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Volgende