Toon onbeantwoorde berichten
Toon actieve onderwerpen

Plaats een nieuw onderwerp Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 10 berichten ] 
Auteur Bericht
 Berichttitel: Help choosing tent for family of five
BerichtGeplaatst: 07 nov 2016, 03:22 
Rookie

Hello to all,

I've been following the forum for a while but this is my first post. Although I have never seen a De Waard tent in person, I have pretty much decided that a Dutch pyramid will be the next tent for me.

I could use some help in choosing a tent for my family. There are five of us, including me, my wife, and three kids under age 6. Where we live, the camping weather is more likely hot than cold, and there are often lots of mosquitoes. We like to have a decent amount of space in the tent (current tent is about 3m x 4.4m).

The Albatros is the tent that I've been most seriously considering. Does anyone have any comments on the changes to the 2015 version? Is there now a way to fully close the tent to keep mosquitoes out, or would I need to add velcro myself? Any comments on the new inner tents? Are these necessary/beneficial?

Any other models I should be considering?

Thanks!

Profiel  

Berichttitel: Re: Help choosing tent for family of five
BerichtGeplaatst: 08 nov 2016, 07:05 
Highly experienced Camper

Afbeeldingen: 16
Oliver, hello
First of all the Albatros will be a good choice for you and your family, the vergroote Zilvermeuuw as well. Maybe take a look at them on yourself in Holland, its always important to see them in personal.
It will be mosquito proof, even without the fully closed fronts as with the hordeurs you will find mosquito gaze worked in the zippered doors.
There is no really need for a binnentent, in fact you can order them later on as well if you wish.
Dont forget - the big DeWaards are heavy tents and the building of them is time consuming, you will have to toss in a lot of harings.
Beside this they are beautiful, long living and extremely nice to camp
all the best
Thomas

Profiel Persoonlijk album  

BerichtGeplaatst: 08 nov 2016, 10:00 
Very Extremely experienced Camper

We have a Albatros++ 2015. You can close the front with zippers in stead of buttons, so no velcro needed here.The two separate inner tents aren't neccasary in my opinion, we have them, but I could do without. In your case, the 2 inner tents, with 5 persons, won't be practical. In our case, if we have a serious mosquito invasion, they come in handy.
In general, the Albatros has a huge Vario awning, it's so deep that the living area in the tent itself isn't beeing used much by us. The tent itself could be smaller for our family, 2 adults, 2 kids under 6. But maybe it's perfect for your family with curtains.

Profiel  

BerichtGeplaatst: 08 nov 2016, 11:08 

Afbeeldingen: 19
Robbe schreef:
We have a Albatros++ 2015. You can close the front with zippers in stead of buttons, so no velcro needed here.The two separate inner tents aren't neccasary in my opinion, we have them, but I could do without. In your case, the 2 inner tents, with 5 persons, won't be practical. In our case, if we have a serious mosquito invasion, they come in handy.
In general, the Albatros has a huge Vario awning, it's so deep that the living area in the tent itself isn't beeing used much by us. The tent itself could be smaller for our family, 2 adults, 2 kids under 6. But maybe it's perfect for your family with curtains.

Maybe you can sell yours to oliver?
An go for a smaller one yourself???

BerichtGeplaatst: 08 nov 2016, 11:57 

Haha, that idea crossed my mind. But we can't find a suitable alternative. The new Stormvogel didn't really do it for us. So I think we're gonna skip the medium size tent, and keep the Albatros for now. And then maybe consider the new Goudplevier when it's launched by DW.

Profiel  

BerichtGeplaatst: 08 nov 2016, 14:14 
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. I am in the USA, so unfortunately I won't have a chance to see any of these tents in person before deciding which to purchase.

I was considering the vergroote Zilvermeuuw as well because it seems to have a bit more headroom than the Albatros. The downside, in my opinion, is that the vergroote Zilvermeuuw isn't quite as beautiful, and I imagine it is somewhat harder to set up with all the extra poles. Anything differences I should be considering? Does the shape of the Albatros make it stronger in the wind?

I have also been looking at some of the tents from Atomatent. I know this is a De Waard forum, but does anyone have any comments on Atomatent? Particularly the Chapado.

Profiel  

BerichtGeplaatst: 10 nov 2016, 09:21 

Afbeeldingen: 17
OliverTwist schreef:
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. I am in the USA, so unfortunately I won't have a chance to see any of these tents in person before deciding which to purchase.

Question to the forum:
Is the VZM or the new Albatros on display in any of the stores?
Maybe next time someone is at a store they could take a video of the inside of the tent and post on here for Oliver??

BerichtGeplaatst: 10 nov 2016, 11:29 

https://youtu.be/dB46IowATHg

Profiel  

BerichtGeplaatst: 10 nov 2016, 21:05 
Rookie

Thanks Liz86. I had run across that video before. Actually it is one of the reasons I started seriously considering the Albatros. It is really quite good looking.

Does anyone know of a similar video showing the inside of a vergroote Zilvermeuuw for comparison?

Profiel  

BerichtGeplaatst: 10 nov 2016, 22:16 

viewtopic.php?t=14451

Profiel  

Plaats een nieuw onderwerp Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 10 berichten ]