Je laatste bezoek was
Het is nu 14 nov 2019, 10:15
Toon onbeantwoorde berichten
Toon actieve onderwerpen

Plaats een nieuw onderwerp Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 115 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina Vorige  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Volgende
Auteur Bericht
 Berichttitel: Re: Looking for some advice on which de waard tent
BerichtGeplaatst: 25 okt 2017, 08:16 
Lampbeugelaar

Afbeeldingen: 155
PhilCardiff schreef:
Hi, what are the differences between the Jan Van Gent and ZIlvermeeum/ Roerdomp? From the instructions on the wiki it looks like there are more poles in a jan van gent.

Just two yellow roofpoles, both inserted in just one minute..... :roll:

But all of this does not matter, because I am convinced that you will be disappointed by any De Waard family tent, small or large, for pitching time matters and the costs of purchasing it..... :!: :idea:

This is an another full, full option “Northern Gannet” of me, incl. extended “vario” and complete innertent.

Such a tent takes extra time to pitch decently even for me....

Profiel Persoonlijk album  

BerichtGeplaatst: 29 okt 2017, 15:23 
Very experienced Camper

Afbeeldingen: 5
Thank you emile. If you do get a smaller tent let me know.

BerichtGeplaatst: 30 okt 2017, 09:01 
Very experienced Camper

I am little confused when comparing the Roerdomp and Zilvermeeuw here on the wiki. can somebody explain why a Roerdomp is shown as 3 person and a Zilvermeeuw 4, the dimensions show the roerdomp as being larger?

BerichtGeplaatst: 30 okt 2017, 12:09 
Very Extremely experienced Camper

Afbeeldingen: 9
PhilCardiff schreef:
I am little confused when comparing the Roerdomp and Zilvermeeuw here on the wiki. can somebody explain why a Roerdomp is shown as 3 person and a Zilvermeeuw 4, the dimensions show the roerdomp as being larger?
Both tents accommodate 4 persons as long as you don't use an inner tent. If you do use a binnentent/inner tent 3 persons is more realistic.

BerichtGeplaatst: 31 okt 2017, 00:18 
Very experienced Camper

Thanks, Looking at the dimensions i thought that was the case but was unsure why the roerdomp was shown as a 3 person.

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 nov 2017, 07:03 
Very experienced Camper

Good morning all,

I have been browsing the wiki and have noticed the Kuifarend.

This looks quite nice and close to what i want. Do many come up for sale and approximately how much do they sell for? How quick are they to build? They look quite simple with few sticks.

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 nov 2017, 08:04 

Afbeeldingen: 19
The kuifarend is realy big haevy familytent, that is no weekend tent. They are hard to get and not in you budget.

On one of our trips we met a women who had always an Albatros and now she bought a KA. She was realy dissaponted by it. She pichted it over and over and she doesn't get a nice result. She said it is much more complicated then the Albatros.

Ps. Do you know what you want?? You turned the offer Emile did, because it is to big??? Can't follow it!
Do you know this brand http://www.karstententen.nl https://youtu.be/yu-dX2-n_kk big and realy fast to pitch the base.

Laatst bijgewerkt door Marlies op 02 nov 2017, 15:56, in totaal 2 keer bewerkt

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 nov 2017, 18:09 
Very experienced Camper

Emile I am sorry you feel that way. I am hoping to have a conversation to help me decide what would be a good tent for my requirements. I am not a De Waard expert, but looking at the Jan Van Gent that really looked like it was more complicated to build than i want. It looks the similar constructions as a Vergrote Zilvermeeum which would be much more complex for my requirements.

The reason i liked the look of the kuifarend was the description on a post here that it is an albatros with less poles. That made me think it would be easier and quicker to build. It is also smaller and lighter than a JVG which you thought was good for me, so i am confused why this smaller tent is too big? But after looking more details (I posted the below at 6am this morning so my brain wasn't working at 100%) it does indeed look a little large which is a shame, as if it was a little smaller it may have been perfect.

BerichtGeplaatst: 03 nov 2017, 16:26 
Experienced Camper

If i may I am not WE either.

If hour looking for a tent that you can pitch in an lets say an hour orso...
Me and with some polesorting help of my wife, did it within a hour and a half,
must say it was the second time pitching a tent in my life.
It was in Robin Hood's Bay Yorkshire, so very windy.
But it was easypeasy, you really don' t have to be an expert to pitch a tent,
For the search and buy there are many tips and tricks (from experts) to find here.

What helped us to make a decision for a tent was,
Going to a de Waard festival and look touch think about
what we needed, where, and if we should stay long at a site or not.
Well and this forum has a lot information what helped making a decision

We have a Albatros and it did'nt move a musle, despite the very very hard wind all hollyday two and a half weeks with the last four days heavy winds and heavy showers towards the front of it!

Please think over what you need about space and comfort, and go for quality.
We saw/heard at nights so many tents going down, quality costs mony but itz worth it.

Think it over, what you need, the many tips here on the forum, and then make a decision that you think is ok, then its time for some serious search and buy action.

Goodluck

Jan

P.s.
The only other tent that stood out there was a Bell tent

P.p.s
:respect:

Profiel  

BerichtGeplaatst: 03 nov 2017, 18:31 
Very experienced Camper

Jenni schreef:
I am not WE and I feel ashamed for the way Emile is talking. Emile is not the whole Forum.

Thanks Jenni.

It is always difficult when you are newcomer to a forum. I have been re-reading this thread to see if i have done or said anything inflammatory.
I apologies to all if i have done anything wrong.

Perhaps i should summarise my requirements and thinking and get this thread back on track.

• medium size, something like my current tent, but just a little larger than 3.5 x 2.9
  • can stand in living and bedrooms,
  • quick to build (hopefully 20 minutes or so) as i will be using this for one night or weekend camping and will have my two year old son with me, so every minute counts when you have a child and you are on your own! I can leave some of the pegs to
  • a sewn in groundsheet (all de awards have this i believe)
  • de waard quality!

My budget is also limited to approx £400, but that may now increase if i can sell my bike!
Tents i have looked at: -

• I was first suggested an albatross due to their availability and low price, but it was pointed out that this is quite large for a weekend tent.
  • Goudplevier. Discounted due to being above my budget, low rear height, no separate living area, ‘sideways’ sleeping
  • Papegaaiduiker. low rear height, ‘sideways’ sleeping
  • Jan van gent. Too large, slower to build.
  • Kuifarend. Perhaps too slow to build and given Marlies comment this may be too large.

And these tents are still on my short list in order of preference

• Patrijs. Looks simpler to build than a Roerdomp, size is good. But may be difficult to find?
  • Kieviet. Perhaps a little too small?
  • Roerdomp / Zilvermeeuw. Size looks good, but slower to build than the Kieviet and patrijs?
  • Tureluur. I think they are quite old so it may be difficult to buy a good one?

Thoughts?

BerichtGeplaatst: 03 nov 2017, 19:38 

Just you and a kid, easy to pitch (less 1hr), plenty headroom and space. That really just leaves you with a Goudplevier, Papegaaiduiker or the beautiful Albatros jr. The guy in the UK "dutch tents for sale" on Youtube has a short clip of one. Take a look, there's a really informative pitching video on his channel too!

Really the other ones you mentioned are too big. When it's just the two of you, then you don't need anything more then 2 by 3 meters. For sleeping 2 by 1,5m is plenty, in the back standing height is not required. The rest of the space (living area) is used for changing clothes etc. Outside cooking, then a side awning (windscherm) is a must! For just a cup of tea you can manage without.

I didn't bother to read anything said before, the last ones are not promoting any fun in camping what so ever. Camping and going out are far superior to owning the right tent for your purposes. You just figure out along the way what tent best suits you. That said, I myself and many others on this forum own several tents (and some guys 20+ tents!), and even I struggle with the question what tent to bring to a certain camping trip

Profiel  

BerichtGeplaatst: 03 nov 2017, 21:41 
Very experienced Camper

Thanks Robbe. I'm going back to take a closer look at the Goudplevier and Papegaaiduiker, perhaps i have been too hasty discounting them.

BerichtGeplaatst: 03 nov 2017, 21:46 

https://youtu.be/xImuqxR62pc

Profiel  

BerichtGeplaatst: 03 nov 2017, 22:23 

Afbeeldingen: 19
I think the information in wiki about the kuifarend is not correct. The livingspace is 420 x200 and the sleeping section is also 420x 210. (Not 220x210!) So this tent is as big as an albatros.

You made a nice list!
Thank you for that.
I can advice you, buy one small size. Don't be afraid. If you made the wrong choise sell it. Your little boy doesn't need that much space. Little kids like a small an coasy tent. They play outside or with little cars on the ground in the tent. At first we had a big tent an albatros and we changed it several times. Lepelaar, papegaaiduiker. We down sized every change. For this moment the goudplevier is our favorite. A realy alround tent. For a weekend or a 3 week summer holiday perfect for our family (4 p) okay with the varioluifel combination. And the new version with high entrence. I asked the boys this summer if they missed al the space and there toys/games. We only traveled by car, and left al the luxery at home. And they only missed the dog!

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 nov 2017, 12:08 
Lampbeugelaar

Afbeeldingen: 155
PhilCardiff schreef:
quick to build (hopefully 20 minutes or so )

Dear Phil,

Despite all negative posts addressed to me, it does not hurt me at all because most of them I know and also I know their level of quality in pitching a tent :mrgreen: , just one last attempt of me to illustrate what you are heading to and to get you back on earth with two feet in reality.
I know objectivity sometimes hurts.

Let’s assume you manage to rollout tentdiaper , tent and assembling the poles in 10 minutes. I know it’s not possible, but let’s assume it.

Than we take 5 minutes for inserting the poles, installing the curtains, aerotex floorcover and aprons for small gear storage. This is also not reachable, but let’s assume it.

Left are 5 minutes for pegs and tensioning the guy ropes in order to stretch the roof.

Let’s calculate now for the basic tent (no windscreens no awning)
1. Zilvermeeuw: +42 pegs
2. Roerdomp: +42 pegs
3. Kuifarend: +40 pegs
4. Papegaaiduiker: +31 pegs

You have to count with an average of almost 40 pegs.
40 pegs in 5 minutes is 7,5 seconds/peg for correct outlining, hammering it into the ground and tensioning the guy rope........ :?:

And in the end, no time left for installing all of your campinggear.

I know, De Waard tents are beautiful, nice to camp with and to own one or two, but never forget what you are dealing with: weight, quality and pegs.

Try to find an experienced De Waard owner in the UK and ask them if you may join them during pitching it in order to see, feel and experience what it takes, and be objective towards time.

Almost weekly I pitch a pyramid tent, small and big, mostly De Waard. Sometimes for camping mostly for fun and I do really know what it takes.

Plaats een nieuw onderwerp Antwoord op onderwerp  [ 115 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina Vorige  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Volgende